Monday, November 2, 2009

Reece- too fast, too happy :) And the Battle of Bedtime

Wow, Reece sure seemed to figure things out this week! He now moves very quickly on his hands and knees (still uses the army crawl sometimes). Climbing was another exciting development this week. I put him in his bed to play (trying to teach him his bed isn't so scary!) while I put his clothes away and I turned around to see him standing up and holding onto the side rails! Now he climbs up Mommy and Daddy's legs, chairs, his beloved giraffe, and anything else he can grip onto! Reece also found the toy basket. Yup he knows how to get all the toys out that he likes! We caught him digging in Auntie Andy's toy basket too (pict below). Now if he can just learn to put them away! Oh, and the latest (just today I would say), Reece has figured out how to wave! Well, I'll admit it is a little inconsistent, but he did wave bye-bye to me after I dropped him off at daycare this morning! As if it wasn't hard enough to leave him and go to work...!



We got to spend some extra time with Reece this week as Brenda's family (daycare provider) fell ill to the flu. Auntie Andy watched him Tuesday, Grandma B had 1/2 of Wed and then I got to work from home for the remaining 1/2 a day, and Ryan (lucky duck) took off Thursday and had his normal Friday off.


Friday was trick-or-treating at AEGON and then Reece's 9 months check up. He is now 28" tall and weighs a whopping 19.1 pounds. He is following right along the "average" line of the growth curve. This appointment wasn't too bad. He was caught up on his vacinations and only had to get one shot for the H1N1 flu (the first round...we have to go back in 1 month for the second dose).


Saturday we hung out with Grandma Brown and then we went trick-or-treating in Jesup. We were supposed to go see Grandma & pa Allen and my dad but we got a flat tire along the way. Unfortunately, we didn't have all the right stuff in the trunk to change it (nice) so our VW hitched a ride on a tow truck to the VW dealer in Cedar Falls. Lucky for us dad has a beauty of of a Buick that we got to borrow!




Otherwise, the rest of the weekend was pretty relaxing! This week looks to be another busy one :( Hopefully we can relax and enjoy the weekend.

Oh, and lastly, I must mention the Battle of Bedtime. Yes, that is right, Reece refuses to sleep alone in his room again. It started over a month ago when he first got sick. He just wasn't sleepy and had a terrible cough. So we did what any sleep deprived parent would do, we surrendered and let him sleep with us for the remainder of the night (if he cried he coughed more and he just looked so miserable) and the same the next night and the next...and before we knew it, it was a week or so of him sleeping with us. After that he started getting over his cold. So we (by we I mean mostly "I") put our feet down. We banished him to his luxury Hawkeye crib. We tried the cry it out thing. And what did stubborn little Reece do? He cried all night (maybe drifted off here and there and started screaming again once he realized he nodded off). No joke. The boy has some strong lungs. And the next night? Started off just the same. After about two hours we gave in. I think I may have been crying just as hard. I mean he is crying because he wants to be near us. Before I know it he will be all grown up and probably have a fit if we tell him to stay home with us. Why not cherish this needy stage?!
Because I need sleep that is why. Between Reece and Bella both right at my side I don't sleep the best...I struggle to drive to work in the morning and awake during work meetings! Not good. So back to the "foot down" thing. So after 2 weeks, he does go to sleep in his crib (if we hold him until he falls asleep and then very carefully lay him in his bed and hope he doesn't notice!). Unfortunately, at least 2, typically 3 or more, times a night he wakes up to find mommy and daddy aren't anywhere in sight. And then the screaming starts again. So instead of taking him to our bed (it seems like we've made some progress) we take turns taking naps on his floor holding his little hand through the crib bars. I am not sure if this situation is any better for Ryan and me, but at least he is in his bed! But after putting that in writing, I am thinking maybe for my health and heart, I should just put him in bed with us when he wakes up tonight!
So, long story short, while I dearly enjoy the cuddle time with Reece, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get him to sleep soundly in his own bed, by all means please share them!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I love Reece's costume! The banana in the pocket is the best. I'm sorry you aren't able to sleep. Let me know what you find out for solutions. I'll probably need them in a few months. :) Keep the posts and pictures coming!

Michaela Sanderson said...

ohhh I love Reece's expressions! They are so Ryan. I can't wait to see him tomorrow and actually witness the crawling! B/c last time I saw him he didn't leave my arms the entire night! :-)

Aunt Kara said...

I love reading your blog! I'm so glad to hear he didn't end up catching the flu, too. I was thinking about you guys. Wish I had some words of wisdom about the sleep thing. We're actually going through a similar situation, also due to a "cough" that keeps Cael awake when in his bed. Miraculously the cough goes away in our bed! He still likes to fall asleep in his own bed, but he thinks it's pretty cool to wake up between mom & dad! Hang in there. I think you're doing the right thing by keeping him in his crib, as hard as that is. Keep us posted! Love you all!!

Anonymous said...

I love the blog, Reece's costume is soooo cute. I am reading this at work laughing out loud thinking of you and Ryan napping by his crib holding his sweet little hand. I clearly have no words of wisdom but I think you are doing a great job. I you all, keep the updates coming!!!